f

Sunday, June 14, 2015

Eating For Your Future/Lettuce Wraps

It seems that the less I write, at least on the blog, the easier it is to not write. But in recent days, I have missed checking in, so maybe that's a good sign :)
This past week, I made a fun dish that I thought I would share. My husband loved them and I also thought they were especially good. Rather than using ground meat or ground chicken, I substituted quinoa for my lettuce wraps. You could actually make a regular salad and just top it with the quinoa mixture, but using a lettuce leaf as a wrap is fun!!! And I might add...a lot healthier too.  
   
Quinoa Lettuce Wraps

Ingredients
1 cup quinoa uncooked
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 onion chopped
2 cloves garlic, diced
1 tablespoon minced ginger
3/4 cup chopped water chestnuts
3 tablespoons hoisin sauce
1 tablespoon soy sauce
1/2 cup chopped peanuts
1 bunch green onions chopped
1 carrot shredded
bib lettuce, or lettuce of choice for wrapping
1 avocado sliced

Cook quinoa according to package instructions. 
While quinoa is cooking, saute onion in olive oil until tender. Add garlic and saute for just about a minute longer. Add ginger and set aside until quinoa is completely cooked. Once quinoa is cooked, add to onion mixture. Add water chestnuts, soy sauce and hoisin sauce. Stir well and cook over low heat for about 5 minutes to combine flavors. Before serving, add peanuts and chopped green onions.
Arrange lettuce leaves on serving platter. Place about 1 heaping tablespoon of the quinoa mixture into the center of each leaf. You may be able to add more, just be careful to not over fill the lettuce leaves or they will be a little difficult to form into wraps. Top with shredded carrot and a slice of avocado.
Serve and enjoy!
I think these would pack well for lunches as they do not need to be served warm. If you are packing them for your lunch, pack the lettuce and quinoa separately so that your lettuce will remain crisp.  
And as I said earlier, you can always make a regular salad and just top it with the quinoa for a little something different.
Enjoy!
Rhonda



Share this PostPin ThisShare on TumblrShare on Google PlusEmail This

12 comments:

  1. Oh, this sounds delicious! Thank you, Rhonda!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks scrumptious...going to have to try it. Contains a lot of my favorite foods.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a must try recipe Rhonda! Thanks for sharing!
    Pauline
    (www.sewuthinkucan.blogspot.com)

    ReplyDelete
  4. This looks great. I never know what to do with quinoa. Thanks for the lovely recipe. Xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Such a pretty presentation! Must try this.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Have you seen Paleo Wraps?
    They're made from coconut, kinda spendy, but secure enough to hold fillings without breaking apart.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Don't we just love quinoa !!! Such a healthy grain and so much tasty stuff to do with it !! BTW I am set to make the Owl pattern weights and can no longer print the pattern from your blog posts. Is it available in another way. so looking forward to making these little darlings.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Email me and I will email a pattern back to you. sewbussted@yahoo.com

      Delete
  8. So nice to see you on the blog, I do miss your creative and information packed postings but am supportive of your decision to regroup. Just know that you are missed...

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh thank you Rhonda. I really like quinoa and was looking for some more recipes using it. Sounds really good.

    ReplyDelete
  10. This looks fabulous, Rhonda, and right up my alley. I may even be able to get my husband to try it - I'll let you know! Thank you for sharing the recipe. I hope you are doing well and enjoying some much deserved time in your garden.

    ReplyDelete