f

Monday, December 28, 2015

Monday Morning Inspiration/Buttons

Good Morning All!!! 
With last week being Christmas week, and my little dog being so sick, I decided to take a bit of a cyber break. Funny how that can be rather refreshing. I'm happy to report that Miss Little Bit is doing so much better. Just a week ago, I thought that we were coming to the end. But that night she slowly began to take a turn for the better. I feel that we've been given the gift of a little more time. As long as she is healthy and happy, we'll continue on. My sincere thanks to all of you who sent well wishes her way. If nothing more, it comforted my heart. 

When it comes to buttons, I think we are always on the hunt for the perfect button, and sadly, that perfect button can sometimes be rather elusive. A number of years ago, I was making a jacket that I really needed to finish that night in order to wear the next day. When it came to the buttons, nothing I had would work and it was far too late in the evening to go out and find buttons. I ended up cutting the straps off of a summer dress in order to have enough braided cord to make the knot buttons that I decided would work. You can find the post about it HERE. Below you see the jacket. 
The rattail cord was actually braided prior to the balls being made. Worked out so well.
Below is a wonderful tutorial on making knot buttons. This is something to just try out with some leftover rattail cord when you are not desperate like I was.
Many of us have vintage pieces of embroidery that either have stains, holes, or both. A lovely idea is to cut them apart and make buttons. Another nice idea would be to get large covered buttons and make pins for family members. Then everyone can have a little useful piece of history. An embroidered pin is always lovely on a sweater or summer dress. 
When it comes to making a button for a blouse of jacket, the buttons featured below are a wonderful idea. You can find the rings in the home dec department of your local fabric store. Add a little batting to the center to give the button a nice rounded top.

The buttons pictured below are a little time consuming, but I think they would be so pretty made from buttonhole twist. As featured, they are perfect for your hand knitted items. You can find the tutorial HERE.

I had not thought of making square buttons, but I came across this on Pinterest and loved the idea. Sadly, I wasn't able to find a link to the original post, but the pictures are quite clear, so I think you could easily duplicate the idea. If anyone does know of the original source, please let me know and I will add the link.
The next 2 ideas are simply sweet. Neither would take much time and they would look lovely on a sweater or a child's dress. HERE'S a link to the crocheted buttons.
No link to this one, but so easy to do. Just cut a piece of felt, sew on the button and add the simple embroidery stitches. 
I featured this button in a previous post, but I think it is well worth repeating as it would get you out of a button pinch with many garments. And even better, they are super easy to make. HERE'S a link to the detailed instructions. 
May you never be desperate at midnight, especially for a button!!!!
Enjoy this last week of 2015!
Rhonda



Share this PostPin ThisShare on TumblrShare on Google PlusEmail This

18 comments:

  1. What a wonderful post, Rhonda! I'm so happy your pooch is doing better! Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! What great inspiration. I tend to chicken out with buttons - I get concerned that I won't like them in the long run and now I have button holes that fit one size of buttons. So, I often use snaps and sew a button on top. Of course that only works for non-critical fastening! Snaps are not that reliable in tight situations.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Snaps may not be reliable in "tight" situations, but hooks are!!! I just want to encourage you to not be afraid of buttons. Make up a simple shirt out of inexpensive fabric. Look at it as a learning project. If the buttonholes turn out well, great, if not, give it another try. I feel confident that in time you will become a master :)

      Delete
  3. I remember covering an old button with fabric as I didn't have a button to match a jacket I made. At the time I felt it was cheating! Ha, I was just being clever like you :) Glad to hear Miss Little Bit is doing better.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Being presented with. Difficult situation and figuring out something creative is what sewing is all about :)
      Thanks for sending your thoughts our way. Little Bit....and I are doing so much better :)

      Delete
  4. such great news that Little Bit is doing better. I love what you have done with these buttons shown. A great variety and ideas to choose from or develop further. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Linda. I feel very fortunate to have her for at least a little while longer :)
      I am going to give the square buttons a try and probably do a little tutorial as I think they might be just a bit tricky. I really love the idea though.

      Delete
  5. Great post - I've always had a "thing " for buttons . Have all my moms ( who wasn't a sewer , but I won't part with them even when they were perfect

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you for sharing!! A few years ago, I made Dorset button kits for my friends for Christmas, including the needle, hoops, thread/wool/cashmere/etc. (on antique floss cards), and a written tutorial. I think the buttons are just like potato chips: you can't make just one! Thanks for sharing new ideas here too. And I especially like the quote at the end. I've been mucking out my craft room this past few days, getting rid of the overflow. Being craft greedy, it's my first act of repentance I make at the beginning of a new year! LOL! But really!! Happy New Year, all!! Cate

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love these button ideas! Every once in awhile a handmade button is just the right touch to add to a garment.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm so glad to hear Little Bit is doing better. I wondered about her last week with no new posts. I hope you all had a nice Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Ginger. The big change actually came on Christmas night. That was when she started barking again and actually sang for me. I had thought I would never hear her sing again. A sweet Christmas gift :)

      Delete
  9. Love the inspiration since buttons can add such a personality to a garment. Really like the yellow flower button. So thrilled to hear
    Little Bit is doing better, and know mommy is thankful.

    ReplyDelete
  10. A great button can really make a garment - but it can be like searching for a unicorn! Thanks for all of these great ideas Rhonda.
    Good to hear that Little Bit is feeling better 😃

    ReplyDelete
  11. Rhonda, once again, thank you so very much for your contribution to the online sewing community in 2015. Monday morning Inspiration is one of my favourite posts and while I may not initiate the ideas immediately there is a simmering time that actually influences my sewing and ideas.
    You are truly a gem in a world of rocks and stones.
    Wishing you and yours a Happy and healthy New Year and genuinely all the very best for 2016 - new year, new ideas, new challenges.......

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love your idea for damaged embroidered linens. I am so glad your furry baby is better and singing for you. Happy 2016!

    ReplyDelete