f

Tuesday, October 25, 2016

The Dress

Since so many of you have asked to see my niece's gown. I thought I would share a few pictures from one of our fittings. At this point, the dress was basically finished, just a few extra tweaks, the hem, and pressing. If you look closely, you can see that the hem is pinned. 

The dress was entirely cut on the bias. The fabric is a sueded silk. The skirt is about a circle and a half in circumference. The dress has a silk crepe de chine inner lining and then is lined with the sueded silk. 


From the side. I'll do another post and show you the actual pattern. Rather than an actual side seam, the seam begins at the side and then curves to the back. 


And the back. As you can see above and below, the skirt seam is higher in the front, and lower in the back. 


Her fascinator. In the center is a garnet button that belonged to her grandmother. A few changes were made after I took this picture. She had a half moon shaped pin that I was able to incorporate, and some feathers that really gave it an added spark.  


I did not get one picture from the wedding, but they had a photographer that took tons of pictures, so I will eventually have lovely finished pictures to share. 

She did not want a traditional gown in ivory or white as she is looking forward to wearing the dress many more times. We'll see :)



Share this PostPin ThisShare on TumblrShare on Google PlusEmail This

17 comments:

  1. I don't know how to spell the sound I made when I saw this beautiful dress & young woman, so I'll describe it. Big gasp--then breathless. Gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Laura. She is such a natural beauty and most definitly marches to the beat of her own drummer. Something I truly admire 😊

      Delete
  2. Gorgeous! I love that this dress will be worn again. Such a great idea.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, we'll see. What I would like to do for her is make another dress. It always seems like a dress that is worn during a wedding sustains so much wear and tear. So maybe I can talk her in to just putting this one away as a memory and making a new gown to continue enjoying.

      Delete
  3. It's a gorgeous dress...can't wait to see the formal bridal pictures of it in action!

    ReplyDelete
  4. A truly beautiful gown which really suits your gorgeous niece. I'm sure that it was her perfect wedding dress. Well done Rhonda for creating such a wonderfully individual gown.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You have done a really beautiful job on this. The style is so classic and elegant and the fit impeccable. Wow!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Stunning work and she surely has the lovely figure to carry off an all bias garment. Spectacular! Oooo, that back!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lovely. I made my daughter's dress this summe. She'd like to wear it again. We were going to shorten the train to main hem length and dye the dress (sandwashed double silk crepe) but there is quite a bit of dirt and damage at the hem even at the front, which can't be shortened. So nothing happening at present! Looking forward to seeing more photos.

    ReplyDelete
  8. She's gorgeous. This is a beautiful color on her.

    ReplyDelete
  9. The thing that I love about this style of dress (and I've made several) is the utterly simple line, and how flattering they are to everyone and every shape.
    I commend your niece on her choices and her practicality (now she will need reasons to wear this again, which can take her down a whole set of roads not considered before).
    So much beauty and love here! Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I think the collective sighs from around the sewing world might change atmospheric conditions! So beautiful and so special. Bravo!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a triumph Rhonda; stunningly beautiful and a beautiful young lady wearing it so perfectly.

    Cannot wait to see the pictures. Hope we get to see what you wore too.
    As always, in admiration. Marysia.

    ReplyDelete